06 August 2008
- I knock wood as I type that our injury report is still remarkably clean. Chris Jackson was back at full speed, and Darius Hanks, while still in his non-contact jersey, participated in practice with no real restraint. No Tide player has suffered serious injury to date - with the exception of walk-on offensive lineman Adam Fuller (#77) who had hand surgery that has removed him from the 105 man roster.
- Just shoulder pads and helmets this evening, after a full-pad workout this morning. However, conditioning continues to be a strong point, as the Tide looked fresh throughout their second practice of the day.
- Jeramie Griffin continues to work with the running backs - with Baron Huber and Travis McCall remaining as our main H-Back or Fullback.
- Chris Underwood looked especially good catching the ball at tight end. With McCall getting work in the backfield, Underwood's catching ability could mean more playing time this fall.
- As we noted earlier today, emphasis is strong on the backs and tight ends being able to catch short passes. There was extra work for them tonight as Morgan Ogilvie got some QB work tossing balls to the backs. Demetrius Goode's struggles here may have contributed to his move to defense.
- Despite being pushed at wide receiver by freshman sensation Julio Jones, Earl Alexander continues to join Mike McCoy with the first group of wide receivers.
- Damion Square appears to have been moved from defensive end to defensive tackle. If that's so, it could mean a redshirt is coming for him - otherwise, he's trapped behind Lorenzo Washington, Josh Chapman and Terrence Cody. However, it could also mean that Washington's rumored move to end is impending.
- Prince Hall continued his work with the "second group" at MIKE linebacker. With Hall's suspension pending, Jennings Hester also worked in the MIKE with this group after being at WILL this spring.
- Despite being pushed by Heath Thomas, PJ Fitzgerald continues to be the Tide's most consistent punter - especially under drills with a rush. Fitzgerald hopes to improve on his mediocre punting average of 38.4 yards per punt last season.
- Just one afternoon practice on Thursday - we'll have your report here as soon as we can.
|< Prev||Next >|